Friday 25 October 2013

WINOL: Week Three 16/10/13



This week for WINOL I checked out Wolf Awareness Week. This was a bit of a departure for me as I would usually fill it with puns but I wanted to avoid using any and see where that got me.

I encountered an issue instantly in that I wasn't allowed in with the wolves. The sanctuary usually let you visit the wolves up close and personal but as it was a busy week they didn't have enough handlers to allow me to for health and safety reasons. Instead I chose to film through a fence and pass comment as to why some people may be glad that I was on this side of it.

I was hoping to leave with a news story and a feature for Winchester Access, but that fell through because I couldn't get enough access.

I opened with a pull-focus which looked good but Ian suggested that I may have had too many mid-range shots. My reasoning for this was that otherwise I would've ended up filming a fence from a distance with wolves as tiny dots on the other sides. I wanted to focus on the animals as much as possible.

In his debrief, Angus suggested that I needed to get the handlers to say why the wolves weren't as bad as horror movies have lead people to believe. Instead I opted for a quote where the handler said that working with the wolves was a "dream come true" for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment