Friday 6 December 2013

WINOL: Week Six 6/11/13



This was a triumphant week for me. I created a package on the new changes to scrap metal law that was dubbed by Angus as the best student news package he had ever seen. Following Ian's VT masterclass the previous week, I aimed to get as many features I could into the report to make it as compelling as possible.

I opened the package with some brilliant natural sound of a car being crushed by a claw. This was followed by shots of the aftermath and scrap dealers clearing out a truck, also with natural sound. Following this I had a piece to camera with a car getting flung around by a crane in the background.

The PTC threw straight into my case study - a victim of scrap metal theft who believed that the changes to the law had come too late. Set in a church, I unashamedly stole the idea to use an organ as natural sound from Andrew Giddings, but unlike Giddings I chose to use the organ as a method of introducing the victim as, after images of the roof, I cut to a sequence of the victim playing the organ. The interview with the victim went well - he gave me the holy grail of quotes in "it's horrendous" and "it's a disaster."

This was followed by the introduction of the Inspector in charge of the law change in Hampshire, Jackie Wilson. I used a three shot sequence of her looking through the file with the information about the law change in. The sequence had crisp sound of her flicking through the paper and a good, tight, close up focus. The Inspector was tough to get a quote out of but I eventually managed to get her to say that she thinks the scrap dealers will welcome the change.

The package ended with one final sequence in the scrap yard.

I feel that I could improve the package by having a scrap dealer's opinion on the law change, however, time constraints and the fact that nobody wanted to give me their view limited this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment